Everyone carries weight in different areas of the body. Some people carry it in the belly, while others carry it in the thighs. Those who carry extra fat in their arms, however, understand the struggle to get rid of this stubborn addition. Luckily, there are many great ways to target the arm area, lose the fat, and show off more fit, toned arms all year long.
Lose the fat with arm-focused exercises
Weight training, especially, can be one of the most effective ways to target any part of your body. By building up the strength in your arms, you are replacing the fat with toned muscles. Other workouts that get your arms moving and working are perfect for burning away fat. There are a lot of great arm-focused workouts to try out and you can find demonstrations for all of them online for clear and easy-to-follow instructions. Some of these include:
- Dumbbell lifting. Bicep curls, hammer curls, and overhead triceps extensions are just a few examples of using weights to your advantage. All you need is a set of dumbbells of your desired weight and you can do these workouts anywhere.
- Triceps dips. You can use a variety of surfaces to do triceps dips like a park bench, bed, couch, or table.
- Pushups. The workout you dreaded throughout your high school gym classes is making a comeback. You can modify this workout to take the pressure off your feet or wrists by supporting your legs with your knees rather than your toes.
- Boxing or air punches. Getting some punches thrown at a punching bag or just through the air can help work your arms and get out any pent-up anger at the same time.
- Plank reaches. Although planks primarily work your abs, they are also a great workout for your arms. Plank reaches add an extra aspect to the workout because you sway from arm to arm, reaching one arm straight out at a time.
Diet, diet, diet
Any weight loss adventure is 20 percent exercise and 80 percent diet. What you eat has a huge impact on your body and where the fat ends up landing. There are a lot of easy, fun, and healthful changes you can make to your everyday eating lifestyle. These ideas will help you lose the arm fat and replace it with impressive, toned muscle:
- Add some high-fiber foods to your diet. Fiber is known to make you feel fuller for longer. It can help boost your digestive system and metabolism, making your diet more attainable and enjoyable. Some high-fiber foods are include oranges, bananas, broccoli, carrots, beans, brown rice, and quinoa.
- Increase protein. Protein is important for muscle development and energy. It will fuel your newly built muscles, especially if you’re starting out in weight training. Plenty of protein will help you replace the fat in your arms with solid muscles.
- Eat non-refined carbs only. If you really want to buckle down and get rid of the arm fat, then losing the refined carbs is key. Carbs are an important part of any diet, but you should be eating only good carbs. Examples of healthy carbs are potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, barely, and oats.
- Cut out the sweets. Sugar is the one thing that adds pretty much nothing to the body, except fat. You can still get your sugar fix from fruits for a sweet daily snack. Just because fruit is naturally sweet doesn’t mean you can overdo it. Even natural sugar needs to be limited.
Extra tips for shedding the weight
While focusing on the arm area is important with specific workouts, there are also a lot of other helpful tips to get you on track. Some other things to keep in mind when you are trying to burn the arm fat include:
- Stay hydrated at all times.
- Nightly restful sleep is an integral part of weight loss.
- Diet is just as important as exercise.
- Exercise and diet apps can help with keeping track of food and workouts.
- Cardio like walking, running, and swimming can help you lose the fat.
Losing weight in general can be difficult, especially with all the stressors in life. As you continue on in your journey to lose arm fat, you’ll find yourself feeling more energized from hard workouts and a healthy diet. By following these tips and workout ideas, you’ll see your arms dropping off the fat in no time.
- Forget gym equipment — why bodyweight workouts are best for full-body fitness
- Our favorite YouTube channels for quick at-home workouts
- Make your cat’s plane ride easy – here’s how
- Canker sore? Don’t panic — this is how to treat it
- The USDA dietary guidelines just dropped. What do they mean for you?