Makeup can be a fun way to express your personality, explore fun colors and designs, and overall, just make yourself feel good. If you’re a lipstick kind of person, whether it be bright red lips or pretty pink lips, you may have never considered making your own lipstick. Homemade lipstick can be created in many ways and has a lot of great benefits, but the real question comes down to — Is it worth it?
Ingredients for making homemade lipstick
Creating your own lipstick does require quite a few materials, but once you have a good setup, you’ll be on your way to quick and easy lipstick making. Before getting started, you will need these items and ingredients:
- Double boiler (large glass bowl resting on a pot of boiling water)
- Some kind of lipstick container (you can wash out and reuse any old ones you have)
- Coconut oil
- Shea butter
- Cocoa butter
For coloring options, you can use:
- Beet root powder — provides a fun red color
- Natural food coloring with no chemicals — available in various colors
- Organic cocoa powder — cool brown tones
- Cinnamon — tan/brown tones and a nice smell
- Turmeric — yellow-orange color
- Mica powder — available in various colors
- Essential oils — for scent
To create your own lipstick, you essentially melt the coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, and beeswax in the double boiler and mix in your desired coloring and/or essential oils. Then, using a pipette, you can easily fill up your lipstick container and let it harden before use.
What ingredients are unsafe?
Whether you are making your own lipstick or buying from large makeup brands, it is important to take the ingredients into consideration. The ingredients we’ve listed above are all safe, soothing, and natural materials that will not only look great on your lips but help keep them moisturized and healthy. If you are still set on purchasing your lipstick, then it is important to look out for ingredients that can be harmful. These ingredients and their side effects include:
- Methylparaben — linked to cancer and is a high hazard
- Propylparaben — can cause irritation to those who are allergic
- Retinyl Palmitate — can cause harm to women who are pregnant
- Tocopheryl Acetate — can cause itching, hives, blistering, and other skin issues
- D&C Red 22 Aluminum Lake — a coloring that is tested on animals and can cause damage to the nervous system
These ingredients can be found in a lot of popular makeup brands. While they are legal in the United States, they have been deemed illegal in other countries due to their potentially harmful side effects. If possible, it is best to find brands that do not include these products in their lipstick. Luckily, there are a lot of existing brands and new brands that are becoming more and more conscientious about their ingredients. They are beginning to stop animal testing and starting to look toward more natural, organic, and healthy ingredients for their customers.
Is homemade lipstick worth it?
If you are the type of person who enjoys making things from scratch, being creative, and exploring new opportunities, then making your own lipstick is definitely worth it. It allows you to customize your own lipstick to be extra moisturizing or have a certain color. You can leave out ingredients that cause discomfort to your lips and add in the ones that soothe. If you find lipstick making to be your new-found hobby, it can save you money instead of purchasing pricey, store-bought products.
As with any “Is it worth it?” inquiry, there are always two sides to the story. If you don’t think making your own lipstick is for you, there is nothing wrong with that. When it comes to any store-bought makeup brand, however, it is important to check out the ingredients and look for anything drying or dangerous — especially if you suffer from sensitive skin. More and more companies are starting to use safer, more natural ingredients that will help keep your lips moisturized.
As you can see, there are a lot of great benefits that come with making your own lipstick. From being able to control the ingredients to customizing your perfect color, the options are truly endless. If you love makeup — lipstick in particular — and want to be creative, then try out these fun ways to make your own lipstick. If you love makeup but enjoy the convenience of store-bought products, then enjoy everything the makeup world has to offer. There is no wrong answer.
- 9 ways you can take action for our planet this Earth Day
- Our 3 favorite quarantine care package ideas
- Motor home vs. tow-behind: Which RV is right for you?
- Is the Pillow Cube good for side sleepers — or just another money-sucking trend?
- Our favorite YouTube channels for quick at-home workouts