Electric scooters are more than novelties or children’s toys. E-scooters today play many of the same roles as bikes, including touring, commuting, and as micromobility alternatives in cities and towns. We scoured major online retail merchants for the best electric scooter deals and found a wide range of cheap electric scooters for children, teens, and adults. Still unsure of what electric scooter to buy? Fret not. In addition to putting together the best electric scooter deals, we also got some tips for you, so be sure to check them out.
Today’s Best Cheap Electric Scooter Deals
- — $97, was $117
- — $284, was $430
- — $360, was $400
- – $430, was $499
- — $600, was $1,000
How To Choose An Electric Scooter
Whether you’re shopping for your first e-scooter or an upgraded model, the best electric scooter deals you can find may not be the right match for your needs. E-scooters are a new sports and outdoor product category for many people. Here are the major factors to consider during your search for a cheap electric scooter.
- Best Use: The first consideration with e-scooters is who will use it, and for what primary purpose. A low-powered electric scooter with tiny wheels won’t cut it for urban commuting. If you intend to ride a scooter on the beach, but the ads only show it on smooth pavement, look again.
- Range: Electric scooter range per battery charge depends on several factors, but battery size and type make the biggest difference. Manufacturers measure the maximum range rating with the scooter traveling at a slow to moderate speed. Most electric scooters are good for 12 to 18 miles per charge.
- Speed: While you can find — and pay a lot for — electric scooters that can go 40 mph or higher, most e-scooters marketed for children have a top speed of 8 to 10 mph. Adult scooters typically top out at 15 to 18 mph.
- Smart Capabilities: Smart features on scooters often include speed and remaining battery life or traveling range. Some scooters use Bluetooth or GPS paired with smartphone apps for navigation, location, and security features.
- Security: Because even the largest electric scooters weigh less than 100 pounds, and most are much lighter, a security hook or bracket to use with a chain or lock can be helpful. Even so, thieves seek electric scooters, so it’s better never to leave them unattended.
- Lighting: Even if you never ride a scooter at night, front and rear lights and brake lights help others see you.
- Brakes: Lighter scooters with low top speeds don’t need amazing brakes, but more expensive models have mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. Many scooters also have a manual brake activated by stepping on the rear fender while you ride.
- Suspension: Electric scooters usually don’t have suspensions, per see, but tires often help soften the ride, especially air-filled tires.
- Charge Time: Battery life for electric scooters is usually measured in range in miles or continuous minutes of use. Less costly e-scooters usually run for 30 to 40 continuous minutes, but medium-cost models will mention the range, typically 12 to 18 miles. Lead-acid batteries used in kids scooters typically take 12 to 24 hours to charge, while lithium-ion batteries usually fully recharge in 4 to 6 hours.
- Portability: If you’re just bopping around the neighborhood, portability may not matter, but if you’re using an electric scooter for commuting, it helps if it folds so you can carry it with you to your office or apartment. Weight matters, however. Carrying a 40-pound plus e-scooter up a flight of stairs gets old quickly, so look for commuter models that weigh less than 40 pounds.
- Rider Capacity: All electric scooters have a load capacity. Scooters intended for use by children usually carry up to 120 pounds, and most adult e-scooters have at least a 220-pound capacity. A few models can carry more than 220 pounds. Load capacity includes the rider, clothing, and anything the rider carries so that a 30-pound backpack could be a problem. Overloaded e-scooters will suffer in range, top speed, stopping ability, and, in some cases, even structural support
- Best cheap leaf blower deals for February 2021
- Buying an RV? Here’s what to know
- Best cheap cordless drill deals for Presidents’ Day 2021
- This is how to size a booster seat for any child
- Carry-on luggage: What you need to know