Parents of newborns might not get much sleep, but infants can actually sleep for up 17 hours a day. And where a baby sleeps is just as important as how much they sleep. Following physicians’ guidelines for acceptable infant beds can lower an infant’s risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) significantly. One important guideline states that babies should sleep in their own cribs or bassinets as much as possible for their own safety. So while crib mattresses can often be an afterthought, it’s clear that putting some effort into getting the right one is of the utmost importance.
It is also important to remember that babies don’t have the ability to support their bodies to reposition themselves the way resting adults do, so bedding that is too soft can be dangerous for them. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, babies under one year of age need to sleep on a firm mattress with no pillows or blankets. While the right baby mattress for you will depend on your budget and preferences, put some consideration into this guideline, as well as the safety of the components of each mattress you consider. For your convenience, we’ve included a brief glossary at the bottom of this guide explaining some of the textile labels you may see as you shop. Being as well-informed on these and other essential factors can help you choose the best baby mattress possible for your little one.
Picking out the right mattress will provide your baby with a safe, comfortable area to rest and grow. Take a look at our list of the best baby mattresses.
At a glance:
- Best mattress overall:
- Best budget mattress:
- Best double-sided mattress:
- Best organic baby mattress: Avocado Green Organic Crib Mattress
- Best eco-friendly mattress: My Green Mattress Emily Crib Mattress
Best mattress overall: Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed
The Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed is tops for safety. It is pediatrician-recommended for safety, as well as a hypoallergenic award winner that has been certified free of allergens. The breathable fabric ensures greater airflow and reduced CO2 to help protect against suffocation. Its design helps regulate temperature to limit sweating and promote comfort. It is washable and transitions to a toddler bed.
Best budget mattress: Dream On Me Playard Mattress
The Dream On Me Playard Mattress is an economical 90% foam/10% vinyl option. The waterproof, non-allergic, and anti-bacterial cover can be easily wiped with warm soapy water on a damp cloth to help prevent odor, bacteria, and mold growth.
It’s also Greenguard Gold Certified, meaning this mattress passes all flame-retardant, toxicity, and lead tests. This mattress is suitable for use at 6 months with a wide variety of play yard designs.
Best double-sided mattress: Naturepedic Organic Classic Seamless Crib Mattress
The Naturepedic Organic Classic Seamless Crib Mattress provides extraordinary comfort, and lightweight, non-toxic convenience in a standard crib and toddler mattress. Beginning with a layer of organic cotton batting, this mattress supports GOTS and Greenguard-certified organic cotton filling and fabric, as well as waterproof, heat-sealed edges and two stages of firmness — one very firm for your infant baby, and a less firm side for when your baby grows into a toddler.
Best organic baby mattress: Avocado Green Organic Crib Mattress
Consisting of certified organic cotton, latex, and wool, the handmade Organic Crib Mattress from Avocado Green exceeds a worried parent’s needs for a safe, non-toxic product. Another dual-sided mattress, this one will take you from a baby’s crib mattress (extra-firm for safety) to a toddler’s bed on the flip side (more relaxed firmness). Being Greenguard certified, as well as certified formaldehyde-free, GOTS and GOLS certified, the Avocado Green Organic Crib Mattress provides both an exceptionally healthy option for your baby and an ecologically and socially sound supply chain from start to end.
Best eco-friendly mattress: My Green Mattress Emily Crib Mattress
Handcrafted in the U.S., My Green Mattress assures your baby will be sleeping on the most eco-friendly of beds available. Using only GOTS-certified organic cotton, OEKO-TEX certified Dunlop latex, GOLS certified organic coconut coir, and GOTS certified organic wool, the mattress is superior in breathability, comfort, and non-toxic, sustainable credibility. Not only will it provide a naturally cool place for your baby to sleep, but it’s also naturally dust mite-, mildew-, and mold -esistant to boot. Try it for 120 nights risk-free. It comes with a 10-year warranty.
Textile label glossary:
- USDA certified organic Logo: Ensures the fibers of the mattress were grown organically, but does not guarantee the same about the processing methods used.
- Certi-PUR Certification: Usually found on foam mattress packaging and means that the foam in the mattress is made without hazardous chemicals like ozone depleters, heavy metals such as lead or mercury, certain types of flame retardants, phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and formaldehyde, as well as being low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds).
- GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard): This seal provides quality assurance of several key safety and environmental criteria (for example, to earn this label, the product must have at least 70% organic product fibers), and is recognized by the USDA.
- GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard) Certification: The first global standard for organic latex, ensuring the product contains at least 95% certified organic raw material, was procured from a certified organic rubber plantation, and meets the permissible limits on harmful substances, emission test requirements, polymer and filler percentages, and more.
- OEKO-TEX: Advises the product has been screened for a number of harmful substances. Their standards are explained in detail on this site. Search for all Oeko-Tek products in this directory.
- Greenguard Certification: Indicates the product has met rigorous standards for emissions of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) into the indoor air. All Greenguard-certified products can be found in this directory.
- MADE-SAFE Certification: The product has been expert-screened for a number of harmful components, gases, vapors, or by-products that can be dangerous to human health. A directory of their certified products can be found here.
- Should you use a knee pillow while you sleep?
- The best collagen powders to boost your hair, skin, and nails
- The 10 best memory foam mattress toppers for 2020
- The 11 best online mattress companies compared
- These are the best cheap bed deals for December 2020